Digital marketing is the process of creating, managing, and executing a strategic plan to create a measurable response from customers through the use of digital channels. It encompasses activities such as website design, online advertising, email marketing, and social media marketing.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the practice of creating, managing, and delivering customer-focused content. It can be used to create a positive relationship with your customers, promote your product or service, and build trust.
There are many different ways to digitally market your business, but the most common methods are online advertising, social media marketing, email marketing, and web design and development.
The History of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is the use of technologies to create, deliver and measure the results of marketing communications. Digital marketing is known as a three-legged stool: it must include digital content creation (including writing, editing, and design), online delivery (including e-mail, social media, and website design), and measurement (including analytics and survey tools).
The history of digital marketing can be traced back to the late 1800s when newspapers began using telegraphs to send news across the United States. In 1913, Claude Shannon created a mathematical model that explained how signals could be compressed and transmitted over wires. This technology paved the way for radio broadcasting in the 1920s and helped create an early form of digital marketing when stations used Morse code to advertise products.
In 1954, Harold Geneen founded IBM, which created one of the first computers designed for marketing purposes—the IBM 704. At this time, marketing was mainly executed through print mediums such as newspapers and magazines. However, with the advent of computers, digital marketing emerged as a new approach to market products.
During the 1970s and 1980s, AT&T leveraged its monopoly in telephone services to develop advanced advertising techniques such as direct mail
The Types of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is the process of delivering a message, idea, or product through the use of electronic media. It can be split into two categories: digital advertising and digital marketing.
Digital advertising is the use of electronic media such as online banners, text ads, pop-ups, and email campaigns to reach a target audience. Digital marketing uses these same principles to create a relationship with the customer and maintain it over time.
Digital marketing is an essential part of any business today. If you want to stay ahead of your competition, you need to know about digital marketing. The followings are some examples of Digital Marketing:
1) Website Marketing – This type of marketing uses web pages to promote your business. Webmasters create websites that are optimized for search engines, and they add links to other websites that promote their own products or services. When someone clicks on a link in an online ad, for example, they are taken to your website.
2) Social Media Marketing – Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are perfect for driving traffic to your website. You can use social media to share information about your company and products, attract new customers and build relationships with potential customers.
3) Content Marketing– Reaching potential clients through the utilization of content is the aim of content marketing. Typically, content is uploaded on a website and then promoted using social media, email marketing, search engine optimization, or even PPC advertising. Blogs, e-books, online courses, infographics, podcasts, and webinars are a few examples of content marketing tools.
4) Email Marketing- One of the most successful digital marketing methods is still email marketing. Email marketing is not the same as spam email, despite the fact that many people think it is. Companies can connect with potential customers and anyone who is interested in their brands with this form of marketing. Many digital marketers build email lists of leads using all other digital marketing channels before using email marketing to convert those leads into paying clients.
5) Affiliate Marketing- One of the first marketing methods, affiliate marketing has been given new life by the internet. Influencers who use affiliate marketing to promote the goods of others get compensated each time a lead or sale is generated. The affiliate networks of well-reputed corporations, including Amazon, pay out millions of dollars each month to websites that sell their products.
6) Video Marketing- One of the most well-known search engines in the world is YouTube. Before making a purchase, many consumers go to YouTube to learn something new, read a review, or just unwind.
To launch a video marketing campaign, you can use a variety of platforms, such as Facebook Videos, Instagram, and even TikTok. Integrating video into SEO, content marketing, and more extensive social media marketing campaigns helps businesses use it most effectively.
7) SMS Messaging- Companies and nonprofit groups also utilize SMS or text messaging to tell customers about their most recent offers or provide them with possibilities. SMS message campaigns are another tool used by political candidates to promote their own platforms. With the development of technology, many text-to-give initiatives now enable donors to make a direct payment or gift by sending a short text message.
8) Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising- Through paid advertisements, pay-per-click (PPC) advertising enables advertisers to connect with Internet consumers on a variety of digital channels. Advertisements for products and services can be displayed to users who are using Google, Bing, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, or Facebook. Marketers can set up PPC campaigns on these platforms.
PPC ads can divide visitors into groups based on demographic factors (such as age or gender), or even target specific locations or interests. Google Ads and Facebook Ads are the most widely used PPC advertising networks.
How to do Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a process that allows businesses to create, execute, and optimize digital campaigns to reach and engage customers. It covers a variety of channels, including email marketing, social media marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and display advertising. It is the use of technology to create, deliver, and measure the results of marketing communications.
What Is a Digital Marketing Agency?
An organization that specializes exclusively in marketing to customers through digital channels is known as a digital marketing agency. For example, Technosmith is the fastest-growing digital marketing agency that provides marketing services through digital platforms. This includes developing and launching campaigns for business clients via social media, pay-per-click marketing, videos, and websites, among other platforms.
Why Do You Need Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the process of creating, managing, and executing a marketing plan that uses digital channels such as websites, blogs, email, and social media to reach and engage customers. It has become an essential part of effective online strategy for businesses of all sizes. Here are some key reasons why you should consider using digital marketing:
1. Digital channels are more efficient and effective than traditional advertising methods.
2. They allow you to target your customers more effectively with relevant ads and content.
3. You can measure the effectiveness of your campaigns more easily through analytics tools.
4. You can track customer interactions and feedback through feedback forms and surveys.
5. You can establish a strong customer relationship through engagement activities such as blog commenting and social sharing.
Books on Digital Marketing
Books are always helpful to learn something new. If you are more curious about digital marketing or want to learn digital marketing, then you can read the following books:
- Digital Marketing Strategy by Simon Kingsnorth
- Becoming A Digital Marketer by Gil Gildner and Anya Gildner
- Digital Marketing All-in-One For Dummies by Stephanie Diamond