I will explain in this article about how to factory reset a Windows 10 PC.
Windows 10 is most popular operating system and it has several editions. Laptop or PCs often come with Windows 10 Home and Pro editions.
- Windows 10 Home is designed for PC, tablet, and 2-in-1 PC. It incorporates all consumer-oriented features.
- Windows 10 Pro contains all of the features of Windows 10 Home, plus additional features geared for professionals and businesses.
Windows 10 is more easy to use and trouble-free operating system than it’s previous versions, but sometimes we face some issues for which we may need to factory reset Windows 10 laptop or PC. Even if a virus infects your operating system and causes trouble with Windows 10 PC, you may need to factory reset the operating system. But re-installing a windows could be troublesome for you, if you are not a technical person. However you can learn Windows 10 installation and everything related to Windows 10 from the book Windows 10 All-in-One For Dummies.
Windows 10 has a built-in factory reset feature that allows you to reset Windows 10 laptop or PC without having to reinstall Windows. Factory reset in windows 10 computer helps in getting a fresh copy of Windows installation while keeping your personal files, even if they are located on the same drive (usually C drive) as Windows. It merely modifies settings and removes programs.
FACTORY RESET DEFAULT SETTINGS IN WINDOWS 10
To factory reset Windows 10 is quick and an easy process, please follow these steps:
- Place your cursor on “Start” (the Windows icon in the lower left corner). Go to the Settings screen and select “Update & Security” > “Recovery” from the side panel.
- Select “Get started” from Reset This PC.
- You must need to choose any of these two options: Apps and settings can be removed with “Keep my files” while “Remove everything” brings the PC back to its factory settings. If you’re trying to fix a problem with an update or remove a virus infected app, you may want to try “Keep my files.” Select “Remove everything” if you’re getting rid of the PC. You can use a reliable USB pen drive (for example: SanDisk 256GB Cruzer USB 2.0 flash drive ) to keep backup of your personal files before selecting Remove everything option.
- After making your selection, a new window will open up with additional options. In the event that you select “Keep my files,” the default setting will be to restore the software and settings that came pre-installed on the PC. Using “Change options,” you can disable “Preinstalled apps” so that the PC’s apps and settings are not restored when the system is reset. To continue, simply click the confirm button.
- Removing everything and then selecting “Change settings” on the extra options windows allows users to control how thoroughly their computers are cleaned. It’s faster to simply delete files, and that’s what most people do. This could be a good option to attempt if something is wrong with your computer. If you’re disposing of your computer or simply want to ensure that all of your personal data is gone, turn on data erasure. It will take longer, but the results will be far more complete. To continue, simply click the confirm button.
- Click “Next” when you’ve finished making your changes.
- Just a few more steps to go. Ready to reset this PC appears in the following window. If you’ve selected “Keep my files,” you’ll be able to see a list of apps that need to be uninstalled if you’ve selected “Keep everything.” Simply click “Reset to begin the process” if you like.
- To proceed, you may be prompted to enter a recovery key. Using your Microsoft account (or the account of the computer’s owner), you should be able to locate it.
REMOVE VIRUS AFTER WINDOWS 10 RESET
Once you have finished factory reset Windows 10 laptop or PC, you might need to remove infected files by scanning with Windows Security feature. Because, Windows 10 reset feature only deletes the apps, it reinstate the C drive the same way it was before. That’s why, if you have a folder full of viruses, the Windows 10 reset won’t remove your personal files. To get rid of the virus from your Windows 10, you can install a free antivirus program or you can do the following steps:
- Go to the search bar of Windows 10 and search “cmd”.
- Run “CMD” as an administrator.
- Then type the following command—”sfc/scannow”.
This will search for and fix the folder that has been infected. In Windows Security, you’ll then have to run a quick scan to make sure everything is safe.
You can search for “Windows Security” in the search bar at the top. Click on “Virus and Threat Protection.” Click on “Quick scan.”
It will be virus-free, if you turn on every security setting in Windows.
INSTALL AN ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
An antivirus software is helpful to remove malware programs which are difficult to remove or clean by Windows Security program. You can install an antivirus software, for example: Avast premium security or McAfee total protection. Run scan to all of the disk drives by that antivirus program to clean your drives.
Most of popular antivirus programs are capable to protect your PCs from latest security threats and malware programs. If any reason you are unable to boot Windows PC for malware infections, then you can use Panda’s Rescue Kit. This Rescue Kit is a bootable USB scanner, which enable you to reinstate an infected PC by creating a “rescue USB drive” to boot and then using the cloud scanner to clear malware infections.