What is a router and How does it work?
A router is a device that connects to your internet service provider’s modem or your own modem to provide wireless internet access to devices such as laptops, smart speakers, smartphones, and tablets, among others.
It is possible that your internet service provider has already included a wireless router with your internet service package. Depending on your modem, the router may be a separate device that connects to it, or it may be built within the modem itself.
You can get around this by purchasing a new router or upgrading your existing router. Especially in this day and age, when you want reliable WiFi virtually all of the time.
How do you know which WiFi router is right for you?
Be ready for multiple devices to be connected to your WiFi network. Radio frequencies 2.4GHz and 5GHz may be found in almost every router nowadays. A key advantage of the 2.4GHz spectrum over the 5GHz band is its greater ability to penetrate walls and other obstructions.
The 2.4GHz frequency has a smaller bandwidth, whereas the 5GHz frequency offers a much larger bandwidth and a faster access speed. Wi-Fi 6 routers support the newest 802.11ax standard for greater performance and better management of large device networks, so that’s what you want if you want to stay on the cutting edge of technology.
In order to make a decision on a new router, you must consider the following factors:
LAN Ports: Although a wireless router’s function is to provide a wireless network connection, there are numerous situation where an Ethernet port is preferable. An Ethernet cable connects a computer to a router through LAN ports.
Most wireless routers have three to four LAN ports, but if you need more LAN ports than your router provides, you can install an Ethernet switch, which is just a power strip with extra Ethernet ports. These can double the available Ethernet ports to 16 or 20. In order to provide shareable storage, a router with USB ports might be used.
There are different apps that can help you configure and manage your WiFi network with a new router. You can keep track of and prioritize your network’s devices with the help of apps. A router upgrade notification is another feature provided through these apps.
Priority control or traffic management
Configure your router’s performance to your specifications. Streaming videos, using Skype, playing games, or listening to music can all benefit from customizing the settings.
You may rest assured that if someone in your house is downloading a large file, your Netflix video won’t be paused or restarted.
Wireless 5 is being phased out in favor of WiFi 6, which is quicker and can handle more concurrent devices. However, until your device is certified for WiFi 6, you won’t be able to take full use of the new standard.
Your ISP may be able to supply more bandwidth if you need it for video chats or gaming. For a household of four, a connection speed of roughly 100 Mbps should be enough.
In addition, each of our routers features a separate guest network for visitors to use. Your primary network can still be accessed by guests, but they won’t have to supply your standard security credentials.
High Level of Security
You should use a strong password to protect your notwork through your router’s WPA2 or WPA3 encryption, depending on how old your router is. Most wireless gadgets only require you to input your password once.
The Best Wireless Router in 2022
We have tested, evaluated, and compared here the latest wireless routers for WiFi signal strength and connectivity features.
- Asus. ROG Rapture GT-AX11000: As the first Wi-Fi 6 router, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 ranks top position on our ranking of best wireless routers and the gaming routers. This is one of the best Wi-Fi routers on the market for heavy users and gamer. View Current Price.
- TP-Link. Archer C2300: The Archer C2300 uses the XStream processor architecture, which dedicates one processor to each of its WiFi frequencies. These processors are in charge handling WiFi traffic, allowing the router’s strong 1.8 GHz dual-core 64-bit CPU to focus on the rest of its responsibilities. View Current Price.
- Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 tri-band AX11000: Netgear (1996) is a prominent US networking company. If you’re willing to pay the price, you can get a Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 tri-band AX11000 wireless router with the latest Wi-Fi 6E technology, which allows it to transmit on the 6GHz radio band. The router is simple to set up and works well. It also has a multi-gigabit internet port (for those who can afford the NBN plan) and two USB-30 ports. View Current Price.
- TP-Link. Archer AX6000: The Archer AX6000 features next-generation 802.11ax WiFi. Take your WiFi to the next level while being backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi standards. In order to enhance the number of devices that can be linked, OFDMA assigns additional channels to each of these devices. 1024 QAM and Long OFDM Symbol enhance overall speeds to a whopping 6000 Mbps. Beamforming and Rangeboost provide a more robust and far-reaching network, while BSS Color technology provides reliable connections by reducing signal interference. View Current Price.
- TP-Link. Archer A7: The Archer A7 is a powerful 802.11ac router with a long range. It outperforms several routers that cost twice as much. This enhanced WiFi is intended for high-traffic online activities and can assist in running programs at three times the speed of the previous 802.11n standard. View Current Price.
- TP-Link. Archer C5400X: The TP-Link Archer C5400X is your best option, if you’re looking for gaming performance. While the C5400X is an excellent Wi-Fi router, it also makes for an excellent gaming router, combining fast speeds with reasonable range and the security that comes with its own software. A genuine gamer’s dream router is this monstrous beast, despite its flaws (it can’t direct the antennae) and its high price. View Current Price.
- Netgear. Nighthawk AC2300: It is cheaper than above routers. Using Netgear’s Nighthawk AC2300 security Wi-Fi router, you can rest easily at night, knowing that your family’s digital assets are safe and secure while you surf the web. One of the best security routers on the market, not a gaming or high-performance one. View Current Price.